Brewery and Taraichi-Tei, The Japanese Cultural Experience
The 150 years-old Kawashima is located at Takashima in Shiga prefecture, which is about one hour from Kyoto. The owner, Mr Kawashima, hosts the brewery tour, in which you will have a chance to taste the local sake, “Matsuno Hana” and experience Takashima’s traditional culture and nature. Takashima is well-known for its unique water culture called “Kabata” which is an ancient method to use the natural spring water for daily life. This tour is exclusively designed for our guests.
The Taraichi-Tei, which is located in the north-west of Lake Biwa, is a traditional Japanese farmhouse. It accommodates only two guests for an overnight stay. The house which features thick beams and the metal-tube-covered old thatch roof is a must-see. You will enjoy the beauty of ancient Japanese architecture. Besides, the house has a fantastic interior, such as “Irori,” “Kamado(a cooking stove),” and “Goemonburo(a bath heated directly from beneath).” It will take you a time travel to the good old days.
We also offer the Kosei region’s exceptional local cuisine, “Jibie” which represents the locals’ lifestyle, “harmonious life with nature.” Enjoy the local food culture along with freshly-harvested vegetables and rice!
1.Water is the most important ingredient for sake and tofu (bean curd). You’ll taste “Matsu no Hana” (pine flower), their signature Sake, together with handmade tofu, both of which are made from crystal clear water from nearby Mt. Hira.
2.Relax in the Sake brewery owner’s house with a green tea. Learn “Shodo”, Japanese calligraphy, from the owner’s wife. After mastering it, write your favorite character on a Sake label and make your own Sake – the one and only one in the world!
3.Stay in “Taraichi-Tei”, Japanese Traditional farm house. You will have a chance to see the thatched roof from the inside. It will be an extraordinary experience.
4.Rice was traditionally made in Irori with a cooking stove called “Okudosan” and a bamboo blowpipe.
5.”Goemonburo”, a Japanese Traditional Bath heated directly from beneath
- Basic charge 50,000yen (excl tax) ＋ 15,000yen per person (excl tax)
- Maximum of one guest group per day, up to 6 guests. Includes one night stay, dinner and breakfast.
- We will provide a complimentary bottle of Junmai Daiginjo Sake(720ml), “Watashi Dake no Matsu-No-Hana,” with the label you created.
- The price includes all the equipment needed for experiencing the activities, and drinks and snacks for tasting.
- The price includes dinner and breakfast. You will enjoy “Jibie” by the side of Irori fireplace. The charcoaled dish is served in spring and summer, and the hot pot is prepared in autumn and winter. Please let us know when booking If you have any request for food such as allergy or restriction. Our interpreter-guide will escort you until the start of dinner.
- For breakfast, Japanese style breakfast is served, such as miso soup and rice.
- You will cook breakfast and dinner under our representative’s instruction.
- The ingredients and cooking equipment are provided on-site.
Rice was traditionally made in Irori with a cooking stove called “Okudosan” and a bamboo blowpipe. This culinary experience will be a memorable event of your great journey.
You can relax in a Japanese style living room with Tokonoma, wooden-framed Shoji, and authentic Tatami mats.
You will have a chance to see the thatched roof from the inside. It will be an extraordinary experience.
Take JR Kosei Line Express from Kyoto Station to Shin-Asahi (45 minutes). Kawashima Sake Brewery is eight minutes’ walk from Shin-Asahi station.
Address：83 Shinasahicho-Asahi Takashima city Shiga prefecture